OF CHAPEL SPRINGS CHURCH
ABOUT OUR NAME
An 1820 map of Prince William County drawn by John Wood is one of the earliest known depictions of the White Chapel. The December 4, 1854, edition of the Alexandria Gazette contains an advertisement for the sale of a parcel of land on which the Springs are situated. The tract was described as “249 acres situated near Bristoe Station with a dwelling house, good soil, sufficient wood and water with the Chapel Spring supplying a never-failing stream of excellent pure water.”
Says Senior Pastor Scott Leib, “’A never-failing stream of excellent pure water.’ What a perfect description for a freshwater spring, but also for a church. That advertisement perfectly captures our desire to provide people a never-failing source of life and hope through Jesus.”
Pastor Scott adds, “Throughout the Bible, springs are a powerful metaphor for new life. And new life is what we seek to bring to our community—by serving those in need, by creating space for close relationships in this hectic part of the world, and, most of all, by helping people come to know Jesus Christ.”
The Spiritual Significance of Springs
Springs are a frequent and highly significant biblical metaphor for the new life God brings. Jesus, as He sat at Jacob’s well in the heat of the day, talking to a Samaritan woman, says, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life..” John 4:13-14
January 10, 1937:
Pastor Howard Salter advertised a meeting of Jesus-followers to be held in the Dixie theatre on Main Street in Manassas. The theatre is currently the Junction Travel Agency.
May 20, 1937:
The body of believers participating at that time began meeting in the Methodist church in Brentsville. The church is still standing in the Brentsville Historic District.
June 16, 1937:
L. K. Dodge, on behalf of Pastor Salter, began a series of tent revival meetings on an empty lot at the corner of Maple and Quarry Streets. in Manassas. The meetings lasted for six weeks until August 1, 1937.
July 17, 1937:
The group bought four lots at Maple and Quarry Streets and began construction of a church building.
December 30, 1937:
The new church building was completed and services of the Manassas Full Gospel Church began at that location.
January 13, 1938:
Malva Jane Gower preached the first evangelistic revival services in the new church. She still has descendants who worship at Chapel Springs.
February 22, 1938:
The new Manassas Full Gospel church was dedicated with 400 people in attendance.
July 3, 1941
The Revs. Grace and Harry Rupp assumed the pastorate as Pastor Salter moved on to Alton, N.Y., to continue his ministry there.
April 22, 1943:
We planted our first church: Highway Tabernacle Pentecostal in Triangle, Va.
March 8, 1945:
Rev. R. J. Hancock became pastor of both Manassas Full Gospel church and pastor of Highway Tabernacle Pentecostal church in Triangle, Va. On June 22, Rev. Hancock discontinued his role as pastor of Highway Tabernacle Pentecostal church when they became self-sustaining.
Pastor Hancock began radio broadcasts of Manassas Full Gospel church services over radio station WFAX, Falls Church, Va. These broadcasts, called the Manassas Full Gospel Church Word of Faith Hour, continued until 1957. At that point, Hancock and his family moved into full-time broadcasting of the Word of Faith on television.
Rev. Howard Spruill became the pastor.
The church built a new sanctuary next door to the original church building at Maple and Quarry.
The church voted to officially change our name to Manassas Assembly of God.
Rev. Gordon Young became pastor.
The church began a long-running and fruitful bus ministry to bring neighborhood kids to church.
Rev Vincent Beemer became pastor.
The church built a new facility on Plantation Lane in Manassas and sold the old facility at Maple and Quarry St. to Seton School.
The church built a new education building and a new gym.
Rev. Charles Nestor became pastor.
The church built a new facility on New Life Way in Bristow.
Rev. Scott Leib became pastor.
MAG planted Bridge church in Warrenton, VA.
February 13, 2011:
We began live streaming services over the Internet.
March 20, 2011:
Our pilot multisite service, the “10:47,” began.
We officially changed our name to Chapel Springs Church.
Recruiting begins for the Launch Team for our next campus in Stafford, VA, opening in October 2013.
Chapel Springs bought a home in the Georgetown South neighborhood of Manassas to be a home base for community missions. Chapel Springs serves over 50 kids each week at KIDergy, our after-school program. We also provide adult ESL classes, a summer day camp for kids, and much more.
Chapel Springs continues to grow as a multi-ethnic, multi-generational family of believers following hard after Jesus. All are welcome to join us!